Saturday, March 16, 2013

Keep reading, reading, reading

More books to add to my list.

The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde
Format - Audio book

Love this. Have never read/heard it before but it kept me very entertained and I love Wilde's use of language. Very atmospheric and witty too.

Cranford by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskill
Format - Audio book

This is an all time favourite. I never tire of it. I love the stories within the story. All the characters amuse and entertain. I become more entranced with it every time I read or listen.

A French Affair by Katie Fforde
Format- Kindle

The latest from this wonderful author. And it does what it says on the tin. It has a good array of characters, a very decent story and setting and a lovely animal character but more than that it takes you to a happy place - or that's what it does for me - it doesn't ask more of you than that you get comfy, settle in and enjoy, and I think that is what reading is all about. A little break of relaxing peace. I have read all this authors books and she and Jill Mansell are my go to, brain fatigue release valves, and they never disappoint.

The Host by Stephanie Meyer
Format - Kindle

This is a reread and it is one I've been meaning to do for ages. Forget Twilight and all the guff (you either love them or hate them) this is a good book. It is different and it is stirring. There are a couple of places where I even feel a little choked up as I read. It would be easier to get all philosophical about how this book portrays humanity (and it has its place in this work) but what it really boils down to, most importantly, is this is a good story. I think I will avoid the film because I don't see how the internal dialogue will portray the emotions from the two main characters (who share one body) and I think that is pivotal to the whole concept of the story. I just don't want to be disappointed.

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Format- Kindle

Not seen the film but I liked the look of the story plot. I have to say, I struggled to get into this book. Nothing in particular but it didn't grab me straight away, however, by the time I was halfway though I was hooked and basically read the second half in one sitting. Have yet to decide whether to read the follow ups though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some great recommendations here! I recently came across your blog and have been really enjoying reading through it. Particularly your knitting pieces!
I don't suppose you would be interested in sharing your blog over at Glipho? We are a social blogging site focused on building a strong, ative community of creative writers, and you would be perfect there! You can even import all your old posts without affecting your existing blog at all- it's pretty easy! If you like, have a look at http//glipho.com when you have a spare minute, and see what you think!

Thanks for your time, and keep up the great blog!

All the best,

Teo