Sunday, September 09, 2012

Books 74-83

Books 1- 6 of 'The Black Dagger Brotherhood' by J R Ward
Format- Kindle

I know I shouldn't (in a way) but I love theses books. They tick all the boxes for me, though reading six on the trot did mean I struggled to finish number six and had to read something completely different and then go back to book six, they have violence,  the undead, vampires, sex (good sex) and a bit of intrigue too. I will read the others - think there are 11or 12 and  then read her angel series as well, but need a respite before I go on.

'Ayala's Angel' by Anthony Trollope
Format - Book

My all time favourite Trollope. I have a lovely little 2nd hand copy with wafer thin pages which is a joy to hold and to revisit this book was just a total pleasure (it was my something completely different from above). I love all the characters in this book and how their troubles, romances and lives intermingle. I love the names and the social settings, I love the anti-hero Tom Tringle Jr, I love the hero Col Jonathan Stubbs, I just love this book.

'Mansfield Park' by Jane Austen
Format - Audio Book

This used to be one of my least favourite Austen's - the only one I liked less was 'Northanger Abbey' but I have had a true change of heart about this book and it now is up there with 'P & P' and 'Persuasion'. I have a thing for Henry Crawford and his designs on Fanny, I love Aunt Norris - she is evil and I find the whole blindness of Edmund wonderful.  I can immerse myself completely in the story time and time again.

'A Study in Scarlet' by Arthur Conan Doyle
Format - Audio Book

Well I haven't read any Holmes this year (as far as I can remember) so I decided to go back to the beginning and to start my way through them again. I've missed having Holmes in my life this year. Have loved listening to this.

'Wallis - Secret Lives of the Duchess of Windsor' by Charles Higham
Format - Book

It has taken me ages to finish this and I have struggled with it - not because it isn't interesting or well written but because within the first few chapters I really came to dislike her. She comes across as an unpleasant character who was vain, egotistical and selfish. I kept putting the book down in disgust.The author writes well and it is easy reading but this one will be passed on to the charity shop as I never want to read about her again.

No comments: