Monday, May 21, 2012

Book 53-58

I have listened to three audio books since my last book post - these are old favourites - 'Far From The Madding Crowd' by Thomas Hardy, 'Mansfield Park' and 'Sense and Sensibility' by Jane Austen. I love revisiting all these books whether by audio or by book - I never tire of them.

'The Love Letter' by Fiona Walker
Format - Kindle.

I used to love this writers books, then I struggled with a couple but last year read a new one and really liked it. When I saw this one I thought I'd give it a go, sorry to say, I struggled with it. I couldn't engage with the characters, they were rather silly at times and I could see where the plot was going early on. It's a big book and a good read but not as good as some others of this type I have read recently.

'Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues' by Tricia Ashley
Format - Kindle.

Loved this. She revisits a previous locations and characters from earlier novels are mentioned, and this was just a lovely, gentle read. Light a bit frothy but good - with an added bonus of shoes....I love shoes.

'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel
Format - Kindle.

I bought this ages ago but postponed reading it as it was my suggestion for a virtual book group I'm a member of (they are reading it this month). It was recommended by two friends who know I love the Tudor period of history and I had no idea it had won awards etc. It is a massive book and has taken me all month (so far) to get through it.
I didn't like it at first, struggled with it - I hated her use of character tense, I found the dialogue confusing and the use of the word 'diaper' in Tudor England almost made me give up. I didn't feel I could though due to the above so I battled on. It did grow on me and there parts of it that are really good - but it is very long winded - and her use of tense didn't improve, I just got used to it. I don't think I will read the follow up in  a hurry - even though I am intrigued by it.

No comments: