Tuesday, April 19, 2011

52 Books - 21 and 22

The Host by Stephanie Meyer.

Format - Kindle.

OMG how much do I love this book? It is a little slow going at first but once it gathers pace it is brilliant. I prefer it to her 'Twilight' books by far (and I love the Twilight books). I loved this twist on an old sci-fi favourite 'body snatchers'. The development of the symbiotic relationship of the two main characters is really good and although you start disliking the alien by the end you are willing for her survival in some way. I really could not put this down - not for anything.

I'm sure Hollywood will put it in a film and bollix it up - but I wish they wouldn't it is far too good for that - but then that didn't stop them ruining Jane Austen's stuff did it?

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

Format - Audio book.

This is an old download from when I got my first ever iPod -I have no idea who narrates it -  it sounds a bit like Gerladine McEwan but whoever it is they do a first class job.

I love this book. I hated it when I read it for my English Literature O'level but when I revisited it as an adult I found a story that I never grow tired off. I'm not usually a big fan of first person narration but it works so well here - is seamless - that I forget it as I get lost in the story. The narrator puts hope,  youth, loss and lethargy across within her characterisation so well, you can visualise it in your mind perfectly. It really is a wonderful place to get lost in for a few hours.

Aside from the audio presentation it is a story I can read over and over again in book form. My copy is seriously battered. From the opening pages with the Reed children and Aunt Reed, all through her school years and the death of Helen Burns, the growing romance, the Gothic madness to being lost on the moors, I am entranced.

I've made myself want to read it again now.....perhaps I should try the version called Jane Slayer which I've recently downloaded on to my Kindle instead?

No comments: