Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1UP

Day 2 of Knitting and Crochet Blog Week.

Today it's all about new things learnt in knitting and crochet over the past year. For me the last 12 months have been about acquiring new construction techniques particularly in lace knitting. I have had a go at Orenburg lace and that style of knitting a portion of the border first, then knitting the body and side border and finishing with the top border - it also covered garter stitch lace which I hadn't done much of and lace stitches in all rows. I've had a dabble with Estonain lace (my current lace project is in that style). I also had a good go at new techniques with knitted on borders (see above) and lace scarf construction (see below).

I find a lot of my knitting pleasure comes from learning how to make new things work. I like new cast on and bind offs and different ways of making garments more than learning styles of knitting.
This year I've also learnt to cable without a cable needle and to purl using a continental method that keeps the yarn at the back - can't for the life of me remember its proper name, learnt a lovely stretching cast/bind off perfect for lace knitting and worked hard to improve my stranded knitting too.

I want to carry on working on perfecting my lace knitting techniques and maybe try a few new sock construction ideas over the next 12 months. I'm pretty sure I'll find other things to get distracted by as well - that's the great thing about knitting there is always something new to find.

No comments: