Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Books 14, 15 and 16.

The Dreamers Cat - Stephen Leather

This was the first book I read on my Kindle. It was a recommendation by my sister-in-law.

Not the worlds longest read or the hardest but definitely an intriguing one. It had a good paced plot, with lots of interesting changes of scenario but all the while keeping the main plot carrying forward. The main human character didn't have that much depth but his cat certainly did. I like Sci-fi but am not normally a fan of thrillers, the mix of genres in this story works really well and it added another dimension to the plot line.

I did work out the end before I reached it - that is the main reason I tend not to read thrillers I have an uncanny ability to suss them out really early into a book! I have another of this authors books downloaded ready to read - I hope it lives up to this one.

American Gods - Neil Gaiman.

I can never choose between this one and 'Neverwhere' . I love them both.

Revisiting this book was wonderful. I love Gaiman's tone and pace. His use of language and the overall weirdness of his story telling and Shadow is probably my favourite main character (though my real Gaiman favourites of all time are Vandemar and Croup).

One of the delights of this story is the uncovering of the old gods and the telling of what they are now and how they have merged into our society to survive - it is all very clever stuff.

I don't want to give too much away - for anyone who hasn't tried Neil Gaiman's books -  'American Gods'  is a good place to start.

Immortal  - Lauren Burd.

More vampires this week. What can I say about this Twilight/Vampire Diary hybrid?

Well I was taught that if you can't say anything nice - then say nothing.

"Nothing."

No comments: