Thursday, February 24, 2011

The yarny bit of Bath

 I like to visit the shop at Get Knitted (link in previous post) whenever I get the chance. It is a lovely yarn shop and fairly large. However, this time, for the first time, I was a little disappointed in their selection it isn't as varied as it used to be, they have a lot more generic stuff like Rowan etc. The Lorna's Laces selection was very small but I did snaffle up this little beauty. It's one of the new 100g skeins in the colourway Valentine.
 I was mainly looking for lace yarn and again the selection was OK not earth shattering but OK. I got two skeins of Manos laceweight in a natural cream - about 800m in total.
 They had a large selection of their in-house dyers yarn - Jillybean - Knot Another Granny Yarn! 'Granny's Gracious Me Wot Lace' - colourway Arden Forest. It's 70% JW Merino, 20% silk and 10% Cashmere and you get 1200m in a skein for just under £20. I looked at the all the colours available in the lace and sock yarn and have to say that this was the only colour I liked. It all comes down to personal taste and some of her colour choices jar me too much.

The next day however, I stumbled upon a gorgeous little gem of a shop in Bath itself called 'Wool'. It's a small place again with a lot of generic yarn but it has a few little gems, a good choice of needles, books and bits and bobs. The owner is welcoming and friendly, there is a comfy sofa and it really feels like a wool shop.
Although I had spent my budget I saw they had the Fyberspates Scrumptious lace weight yarn in a wide array of colours and I couldn' t resist the charcoal grey or the deep red. The skeins are about 1000m and cost between £14 to £15  - good value.

The only other yarn purchase were for Mum - she had picked out some yarn online at GK to make a 'Travelling Women' shawl for herself and M bought himself some sock yarn too but I'll let him post that.

No comments: