Sunday, August 21, 2005

Still humph.....

but where does humph come from? Well here is the answer.... are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.........

' "Humph" said the Camel.

"I shouldn't say that again if I were you" said the Djinn; " you might say it once to often. Bubbles, I want you to work."

And the Camel said "Humph!" again; but no sooner had he said it than he saw his back, that he was so proud of, puffing up and puffing up into a great big lolloping humph.

"Do you see that?" said the Djinn. "That's your very own humph that you've bought upon yourself by not working." '

'How the Camel got his Hump' by Rudyard Kipling

And to round off story hour here is the matching poem. I remember my sister reading this to me when I was little, so that proves I've been humphy for a long time.

The Camels hump is an ugly lump
Which well you may see at the zoo;
But uglier yet is the hump we get
From having too little to do.

Kiddies and grown ups too-oo-oo,
If we haven't enough to do-oo-oo,
We get the hump -
Cameelious hump -
The hump that is black and blue!

We climb out off bed with a frouzly head
And a snarly-yarly voice.
We shiver and scowl and we grunt and we growl
At our bath and our boots and our toys;

And there ought to be a corner for me
(And I know there is one for you)
When we get the hump -
Cameelious hump -
The hump that is black and blue!

The cure for this ill is not to sit still,
Or frowst with a book by the fire;
But to take a large hoe and a shovel also,
And dig till you gently perspire.

And then you will find that the sun and the wind,
And the Djinn of the garden too,
Have lifted the hump -
The horrible hump -
The hump that is black and blue!

I get it as well as you-oo-oo
If I haven't enough to do-oo-oo!
We all get the hump -
Cameelious hump -
Kiddies and grown ups too!

(Rudyard Kipling.)

So there is the origin of being humphy. Here's hoping it passes soon!

No comments: